On 23rd May 2020, Architecture Association Maldives shared an online questionnaire via Google forms to identify the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the members of the Association.
A total of 44 responses were received for the survey. The questions were classified into two main categories; Impact of the pandemic on the member personally, and impact on their place of work or practice.
The results of the survey outlines how our profession is coping with the Covid-19 pandemic, and it clearly shows that our members who responded have been greatly affected in one way or another. The following are a summary of conclusions that the report highlights based on the responses of this survey;
- A widespread shift towards working from home or working remotely
- The majority of our members income has reduced, personal or household
- Cash flow for practices has immensely been reduced due to a decrease in workload and business inquiries.
- Half of the members have said maybe seeing permanent changes in work practice
- Majority of the members can sustain their business only for 6 months or even less than that if the situation persists
- Members have experienced a delay or cancellation of one or more projects, mainly due to delays by the approval authorities, contractors, and suppliers
- The majority of the members have not received any support from the government, while only 33% have said the relief packages from the government are moderately effective